Based upon Flagship’s client data, approximately 35% of the adults who receive services from Flagship have not graduated from high school and have not achieved a GED. This is a significant number of people who need and desire to take advantage of the educational services and opportunities offered at Flagship. The goal of the GED program is to provide a valuable learning experience to students that will help them obtain the knowledge and skills required to pass the GED Test and position them for continued academic achievement and/or occupational success.
This program is designed to approach individualized teaching based on each student’s learning style. Students complete lessons in five academic areas: writing, reading, math, science, and social studies. Practice quizzes using actual exam questions, along with individualized instruction and coaching prepare the student for the GED Test. Based upon a student’s level of comprehension and retention, the instructor may encourage them to complete their study in one subject at a time and take the actual GED Test in that subject before moving on to the next area of study.
A STUDY PROGRAM THAT WORKS FOR YOUR LEARNING STYLE
- Language Arts/Writing
- Language Arts/Reading
- Social Studies
- Learning Styles/Study Habits
- Goal Setting
- Subject Review (focus on strong/weak areas)
- Practice GED Exam
Thursdays and Fridays: 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 Noon
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS PROGRAM AND IS THERE A COST?
- All adult residents of Northeast Denver Council Districts 11 and 8, who have not earned a high school diploma and would like to achieve a GED.
- All classes are free to students
- Some assistance for testing fees is available
Benefits of a GED
A GED diploma is no small achievement; it is a viable diploma that can open doors to college or other post-secondary education opportunities and employment. It demonstrates that a graduate has the fortitude, maturity and commitment to successfully complete consistent hours of studying and testing; basic skill levels sufficient to pass a GED test; and a desire to be successful.
- Research shows that people with a GED diploma make an average of $385,000 more in their lifetime than those without at GED or high school diploma.
- A GED Diploma will add value to your marketability and competitiveness in the workforce.
- Having a GED Diploma opens more doors for advanced training in the workplace or special on-the-job training programs, as most specialized training programs require either a high school diploma or a GED diploma.
- According to the American Council on Education, over 95 percent of U.S. employers consider GED graduates to be the same as traditional high school graduates in regards to hiring, salary and advancement opportunity. A GED holder shouldn’t hesitate to apply to any job that says ‘high school diploma required.
- A GED diploma will make you eligible for higher educational opportunities. The GED diploma is treated the same as a high school diploma by about 97% of colleges and universities in the U.S.
- In gaining your GED, you will have accomplished something that only 60% of high school graduates can do.